I'm finally sitting down to share my wonderful birth story. I say wonderful because it's everything I wanted and more. Of course no one can prepare you for the pain but in the end it was SO worth every single moment of pain.
I don't think it was the luck of the draw that we found out we were pregnant on the day we thought we would birth our 3rd child so I certainly didn't think it would be luck if we had our 4th child on one of the days that I started miscarrying our 2nd child. I had this feeling we would have Simon between July 4th and 7th. I told Stephen out of all the days in the year only God would give us the gift of making such sad memories such sweet ones. On Monday the 2nd around noon I noticed a change in my body but chalked it up to lasting for the week and preparing me for birth sometime toward the end of that week. I also noticed that around noon my Braxton Hicks went from no pain to a slight cramp in my abdomen. It didn't bother me, just made me think about them more. Addyson and I went about our daily business, we cleaned, ate lunch with Stephen, picked up some fresh farm eggs and headed home to start dinner. My brother Dustin came over and I told him the baby would be here this week...he told me not to have him on Tuesday or Wednesday because those days wouldn't work for him. LOL After dinner I asked my neighbor to take a walk with me and around 8 we left. I started noticing these "Braxton Hicks" were getting a little stronger with a little bit more pain than I would of liked. I chalked it up to the baby dropping since he was at a 4 when I went to the doctor the week before. I had a hard time making it through the walk and without telling my friend that I was in pain we decided to cut it short and head home. I still wasn't in a lot of pain but enough to question what in the world was going on. They were pretty iregular so again I was in denial of what the pains were. I was 11 days out from my due date and it really make me think the baby was just dropping. I came home and took a shower (shower #1) and watched a little TV with Stephen and Addyson and then decided to get into bed around 10pm to relax and get comfortable. Around 11 the pain was getting a little worse so I decided to take another shower to see if that would stop it. I didn't have any "Braxton Hicks" in the shower so I thought nothing about it at that point. As soon as I got into bed they started up again but sitll very irregular. Sometimes 10 minutes apart, sometimes 5, sometimes 2. I also didn't want to bother family because again my head told me it wasn't time yet.....I was still 11 days from my due date and there was no way I would have him that early (who's that lucky?) At 1am Stephen came to bed and I took another shower (shower #3) then I tried to sleep.... contractions started coming faster around 2-3 minutes a part and harder to where I needed to hunch over and breathe through them. I went into the living room and hunched over the couch and felt this horrible pain accompained by a contraction....I think that was when Simon dropped! I came back and took a 4th shower and during the shower my contractions were about 1.5-2 minutes apart and Stephen told me that this is not how it was with Addyson and we needed to go to the hospital. I still was in horrible denial even though the pain was awful. I told him that was fine, call mom and tell her to come in 30 minutes because I wanted to do my hair. I think they both thought I was crazy because during the contraction I would set my straightner down and bend down and breathe and then continue doing my hair. LOL I wanted to look good for pictures. :) We finally got to the hospital around 2:30am and started checking in and the contractions were really starting to be really painful but during the break I felt fine, I jjust really needed to go into my own world during each one and at that point I could handle them. We went to triage where they checked me and I said "please tell me I'm more than a 2", the nurse looks at me and says "well you are more than a 2, you are a 7!" I started crying, because until then I didn't believe I was in real labor (it seemed too easy) and knew at that point we were going to meet our son soon. I walked to our room and got hooked up to the IV port (at that point I didn't need anythink so they just wanted the port in) I told them I didn't want meds or an epideral especially since I was so far along. I had the most wonderful nurse ever. She stood there and encouraged me to keep going when I thought I couldn't do it. She kept saying that I had just gone through the long journey and only had a tiny bit left (I was already an 8-8.5) I kept trying to just put myself in another place and breathe during each contraction, some left me breathless, some made me feel sick but after some antibiotics I felt a little better. ( I think I felt like I was going to pass out because Stephen informed me they took 4 vials or blood) lol. The nurse kept "trying" to break my water ( I secretely think she really wasn't trying to hard because she knew the baby would come and the Dr. wasn't there yet). I had to wait 30 minutes for the Dr. to get there at the point where I was a 9 and let met tell you, there is a huge difference between having an epideral and waiting 30 minutes to not having anything and being told to wait 30 minutes. That was the hardest 30 minutes of my life. I had some pretty hard contractions along with some piggy back ones. Finally the Dr. gets there and I'm almost a 10 so she breaks my water and I feel Simon drop and then a contraction hit and I told them I had to push right then.....I started pushing and 30 minutes later, at 5:57am) they laid precious Simon on my chest. Unfortunetly they took him back because he had had the cord wrapped around his throat and they needed to check on him. Little did they know he would cry for the next hour...poor thing got a little bruised when he dropped so fast. The pushing was probably the most painful part but it was wonderful having the ability to feel what my body wanted me to do along with having total control over my body. At the time I said I never wanted to do that again but afterward when I had no back pain, and I was able to walk around I knew that I wanted to experience it again! I can really tell you how must more easier this delivery was compared to Addyson's BUT wouldn't change my experience with Addyson for anything. It is what it is and there is a reason for everything. The only sad thing was my Dr. didn't get to deliver Simon and I really wanted her to. Maybe next time ;)
There you have it, I was surprised at how I managed to get through the pain and delivery with no meds. It's not for the weak but I believe if you really want to do it then you should shoot for it. But know this, no one can prepare you for the pain.....you just have to try to relax and breathe.
I did scream a little during the pushing...even though I said I wasn't a screamer.....it hurt! lol
Also, we gave birth to our son exactly 4 years to the day that we started losing our 2nd child. Due to leap year it gave us an extra day and therefore instead of July 4th being exactly a year July 3rd was. Isn't it amazing how God works? He could of given our son any birthday but he chose that day!! My heart swells with gratitude!
Love my Life
13 years ago











No comments:
Post a Comment